Monday, June 7, 2010

Common bond...

A little over two years ago, I was introduced to a Yahoo Group called the CI Circle; also called the Pediatric Cochlear Implant Circle. When I was first learning about CIs, I posted a message seeking advice on CIs and what to expect during activation. I also asked if there were any parents out there that had kiddos that had not been born deaf, rather had lost their hearing to bacterial meningitis.

Only one person replied. Michelle and I became friends and have been emailing over the past 2+ years sharing our experiences and venting, etc. Not that we would ever wish what we went through with Jonathan on anyone, it is nice to be able to talk to someone who has walked down the same road. Two sweet boys, both having had bacterial meningitis, both with bilateral cochlear implants.

Finally after several attempts to meet in person, we finally did! We met up with the family in Kemah this past Saturday. Jenny and Jonathan hung out at the fish tank at the Aquarium while Mark and I exchanged more details of our stories with Michelle and Todd. Since we live about 4 hours apart...we are definitely going to get together again soon...not waiting another 2 years :)




A few pictures of earlier in the evening before dinner
In jail...on the boardwalk

2 comments:

Jana Post said...

So glad y'all could finally meet! Jonathan's story is amazing, and he's got two great parents!

Shelby said...

Looks like fun! I am such a believer that wonderful friendships (no matter the common denominator) can begin online. I've made many great friends over the years that way! I think that is awesome!