Monday, August 31, 2009

Jonathan's 1st Day of School...the Sequel...

Today was Jonathan's first day of school/MDO at Heritage Christian Academy. While we did not anticipate having to change schools after only one week, it was a blessing in disguise.

When I dropped Jonathan off last Friday, the MDO director informed me that this would be Jonathan's last day. Not because he was a bad kid or was a biter, but (in a nutshell) because he wasn't able to do what the other kids could do. They believe that he needs one-on-one attention, and of course we do not agree (nor do most of the people who see him on a regular basis). After arguing and pleading my case with the principal, kindly reminding him that they weren't giving him a chance and just writing him off, it was clear that we were no longer welcome.

So....after a lot of tears and a whole lot of prayers, I drove to HCA to see if they had any spots open. They only had full time spots, but have made an exception for us and are letting Jonathan be part time (3x/wk) in a full time classroom. They didn't even blink an eye when I gave them a brief run down of Jonathan's abilities. In another MDO class, they even have a little boy in a wheelchair! Jonathan's new class has 5 kids total in it and his teacher has a family member that is deaf.

So...while we were so upset and hurt by being kicked out of the other school, God had a plan all along :) One heck of a curve ball.

Today when I dropped Jonathan off, he did cry, but not much. His teacher said he did great, played with the kids, ate all his lunch, fell asleep during nap time and slid with her down the slide on the playground. No crying for the rest of the day!

I snapped this picture as I was picking him up. He was playing with a tub of cars and dress up clothes....and in a great mood! :)

5 comments:

Jana Post said...

SO BIG!!! I'm so glad he is such a wonderful place!!!

Shelby said...

That is awesome Brig! I'm so glad Johnathan is liking it! He deserves a wonderful, accepting and encouraging place like that!

Anonymous said...

Sweet Mommy Brig...

God will fight your battles for you...sometimes what looks like a disaster at the time is a blessing in disguise...when the bad things/people happen to us...just stay in deep prayer, put one foot in front of the other and keep your pretty self going on down the road...God is "in control" of HIS kids and those of us who love and follow HIM...I am so happy you found such a darling place...

Love,

Aunt L.

Kristine said...

Go Jonathan Go!!

I'm glad you're happy and comfortable with the new school.

stephanie T said...

i am so glad you found something even BETTER for him!