Monday, February 23, 2009

Parenting...

On occasion I wonder if Jenny is really listening to what Mark and I ask her to do and try to teach her right from wrong. Sometimes she gets distracted and loses focus (Yes...she got that from me) and mostly she is listening intently even when we don't know it.

Rather than cooking on Saturday, we decided to order a pizza. I ordered and paid for it online like we normally do (pizza hut never seems to answer the phone). We were all relieved that the pizza actually arrived on time. I answered the door and took our pizza and told the delivery guy thanks and started to close the door. He kindly reminded me that I did not pay. I proceeded to politely show him my printed confirmation stating that I did pay. He called the manager who insisted that we did not pay and to give the pizza back if I didn't pay over the phone now. Trying to be polite, I explained my position that I didn't see why I should pay for a pizza twice because their system wasn't working properly. I hesitated and almost send the pizza back, but ... what would we eat for dinner? PB&J?

As our discussions became a bit more heated (no cussing or anything) Jenny seemed concerned. She came downstairs with some change from her piggy bank for me to pay the delivery guy...she was hungry. Then she pulled me into the kitchen and said, "Mommy, maybe if you tell him that you are sorry and then talk nicer he will give you the pizza." In the end, I paid for the pizza...possibly twice.

Turns out our kids do listen to us...and then teach us a lesson in return. :)

No comments: